Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

The Context

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is required by law when a building is constructed, sold or put up for rent.

It provides crucial information on the energy efficiency of the property, including a clear rating of the energy performance of a building on a scale of A to G, where A is the highest level of energy efficiency.

EPCs can only be produced as a result of a survey by a qualified ‘accredited’ Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA) for residential property or a Non-Domestic Energy Assessor (NDEA) for commercial property. Now that the Home Inspector system has been removed, only DEAs (and NDEAs) are qualified to analyse the energy efficiency of a property in this way.

You can read more on the current EPC regulations and guidance on the Government’s website here.

Our EPC Service for Devon & Cornwall

Our fully-qualified DEAs have undertaken thousands of EPCs across Devon & Cornwall in recent years. Each is an expert in their field, able to accurately analyse the energy characteristics of a given property – large or small, residential or commercial.

We can and do assess any form of residential development; from single dwellings for private owners, through to major construction projects and multiple property portfolios.

Our EPCs start from just £49.99 + VAT with bulk discounts available by negotiation.

New or existing, large sites or individual properties

For an existing building, an on-site inspection allows us to ascertain the characteristics of the building and calculate its energy impact accordingly. We can then generate the final certificate and lodge the completed EPC with the Government database.

For a new build, we can do those calculations off-plan; with the benefit of the architect’s proposed construction details.

In either case, our certificates are accompanied by an Advisory Report (AR) which outlines energy-saving measures and recommendations for securing a higher EPC rating.

Construction project?

If you’re looking for an EPC provider for your construction project – why not ask our team how much money we could save you by handling your SAP calculations and air testing whilst we’re on site?

Continuity through all three services will be more efficient, easier for you to manage and much more cost-effective. We’d love to help.

Contact Us

Energy Performance Services - Energy Performance Certificate - Example

EPCs produced quickly and to the highest possible standards.

About the EPC

EPCs are measured using the same calculations for all homes, so you can compare the energy efficiency of different properties. Part of the EPC is a report which will list the potential rating that your home could achieve, if you made the recommended changes.

The reports list:

  • suggested improvements (such as fitting loft insulation)
  • the approximate cost
  • possible cost savings per year if the improvements are made
  • how this would change the energy and carbon emission rating of the property

You can use this information to:

  • cut your fuel bills
  • improve energy performance in your home
  • help cut carbon emissions
  • help you choose a more energy efficient home to rent or buy

You do not have to act on the recommendations contained in the recommendation report. However, if you decide to do so, then it could make your property more attractive for sale or rent by making it more energy efficient.

Sellers or buyers of homes

All sellers of homes need to ensure that they provide an EPC. An EPC must be available to view free of charge within 28 days of marketing a property.


If you are a landlord, you’ll need to make an EPC available to prospective tenants the first time you let a home after the 1st of October 2008. An EPC is only required for a property which is self-contained, and is valid for 10 years.

An EPC isn’t required when a tenant rents a room and shares facilities.

When is an EPC not required?

  • places of worship
  • temporary buildings with a planned time of use less than two years
  • stand alone buildings with a total useful floor area of less than 50 Sqm that are not dwellings
  • industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings with low energy demand